Friday, April 06, 2018

Compiling with Wextra

I was reading this post:

And noticed there is a new C compiler flag `-Wextra` which just pointed out a few embarrassing bugs.
I would recommend compiling with this flag to any variant.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

It's alive!


you can now play Hellband on
There are some minor screen refresh oopsies, but nothing that interferes with the game-play.

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Eat your veggies

Or, in *band terms, fix your compile time warnings. It seems that `-Wall` and `-pedantic` have come up with a ton more checks since I last compiled Hellband, resulting in a number of actual bug fixes.

One of these bug-fixes fixed the knowledge menu features, which did not work any more on *nix.
Another one did not allow for `extra_shots` to be computed correctly.
Another one prevented damage bonuses and armor class bonuses to be applied to randarts. (Ouch!)
The rest was minor stuff.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018


Check this out:

I was almost on if it were not for some pesky features (or rather the lack of those pesky featres) in Hellband. Those features have been restored, and I am now able to compile on Windows with cygwin. So much winning ;)

Back to JavaScript.

Monday, March 12, 2018

I think I am back


as a Father of Four, I've cut back on *band for a decade, there was simply no time. More importantly, *bands are so great that it was easier for me to forget about it then to be frustrated at how little time I could spend.

Now, unless IRL wants to mess with me some more, I am very much wanting to get back in.

So, I have restarted (3rd time is a charm) a Hellband port to JavaScript.

The strategy is:
* ROT.js
* Require.js
* Port function per function, keeping the C (Angband) coding conventions.
* Keep it all in the cloud:

I am lurking all over and to see what the state of *band is.

That is all for now.

Friday, April 30, 2010



Not related to Hellband, I've been fiddling with a Tower Defense game based on 'Processed Tower Defense' I always like to take something open source and see how far I can go in giving it a console look by putting a black background and replacing images with ASCII symbols.

Sadly enough, Processed Tower Defense has flaws; you will see the critters stick slightly in the north west, but if you close the north piece of wall next to the exiting east stair case, the path detection actually fails... Too bad I have not been able to abuse this yet in the real game ;)

So, if anyone wants to play with, go ahead, download and play with it.


Clipped screenshot;